SummaryVilissa Thompson, LMSW shares with us the complexities of disability programs.
✊🤖 Join us for our second episode and the second part of our series on disability programs. Our guest today is Vilissa Thompson, LMSW, a macro-minded social worker from South Carolina. Ramp Your Voice! is her organization where she discusses the issues that matter to her as a Black disabled woman, including intersectionality, racism, politics, and why she unapologetically makes good trouble.
- 0:00 - Welcome to Episode 2
- 2:50 - Introducing Jason Putorti, co-creator of Resistbot, and the Resistbot origin story
- 8:40 - Re-introducing Susan Stutz and Melanie Dionne to bring us back into #DemolishDisabledPoverty and social security safety net programs
- 12:58 - How the SSI legislation is working its way through Congress
- 16:38 - Introducing Vilissa Thompson to discuss her perspective on the challenges of navigating complex systems of disability programs
- 33:51 - Q&A for Vilissa
- 44:07 - Putting the SSI campaign in context with other popular issues in Resistbot history
- 48:57 - How organizers can best use Resistbot to advance issue campaigns or turn out votes
- 54:24 - Useful keywords for individual Resistbot users
If you have feedback or want to volunteer, email firstname.lastname@example.org or learn more about the bot on our website.
This week’s guests, in order of appearance
Watch the live show Sundays at 1 pm on
Use the chatbot on
Referenced in the Show
- Improve SSI in Recovery Bill Petition
- Congress Must Include SSI + HCBS in Build Back Better Petition
- Resistbot Guide for Organizers
- Save the Women by Susan Stutz